People should have access to the relevant knowledge, technology and services that will allow them to respond to day-to-day challenges and opportunities to the best of their ability. This will ensure that people have the capacity to meet their basic needs and pursue higher needs.
This means that, as a society, we must continuously strive to ensure:
- Access to education and vocational training (e.g. schooling for young girls, business skill workshops);
- Access to information needed to make more informed decisions (e.g. reproductive choices, business decisions);
- Access to information and communication technologies (e.g. access to smart phones and computers with Internet connectivity);
- Access to productivity-enhancing technologies (e.g. farming implements, manufacturing equipment);
- Access to social security, insurance and finance (as a means to build resilience and insulate against shocks); and
- Access to transport networks (increasing mobility to bring more capacity-building opportunities within reach).
This Positive Pursuit encompasses any action which achieves such an outcome.