People must have access to economic opportunities in order to meet their basic needs and pursue higher needs. This means that as a society we must continuously strive to ensure:
- The opportunity to earn at least a living wage;
- The right to fair working hours, leaving adequate time for rest and leisure;
- The right for workers to form trade unions and engage in collective bargaining;
- Access to livelihood opportunities which do not degrade the health of workers;
- Ownership of economic rights to local land and natural resources;
- Access to markets for small-scale producers; and
- Stable income throughout the year (i.e. not just seasonal).
This Positive Pursuit encompasses any action which achieves such an outcome.