Governance relates to the way decisions are made and implemented – at an international, national and local level.
In a Future-Fit Society, governance in every context (international, national, and local) should live up to the following five attributes:
- Accountable: Institutions take full ownership and responsibility for the results of their actions, and strive to manage these outcomes through effective oversight at all levels.
- Participatory: Everyone the institution serves has a voice in decision-making, either directly or via legitimate intermediaries that represent their interests.
- Responsive: Institutional decisions, programs and processes adapt to effectively address society’s changing needs.
- Responsible: Institutions uphold human rights and foster the pursuit of future-fitness.
- Transparent: Information necessary for decision-makers to adhere to the above attributes is readily available and accessible.
This Positive Pursuit encompasses any action which achieves such an outcome.