9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Growth in productivity and incomes, and improvements in health and education, require innovation and investment in critical infrastructure such as transport, irrigation, energy, and information technology.
This SDG has several 2030 targets to which every company can contribute. These targets aim to: upgrade and develop quality, reliable, sustainable and resilient infrastructure; and retrofit industries to increase resource-use efficiency and accelerate adoption of clean and environmentally sound technologies and industrial processes.
A future-fit company contributes to these aims by:
- Using energy from renewable sources: and actively encouraging suppliers to do the same: this ensures that business operations foster the modernisation of critical energy infrastructure.
- Eliminating operational greenhouse gas emissions: and actively encouraging suppliers to do the same: this ensures that business operations adopt technologies and industrial processes which do not contribute to climate change.
- Eliminating operational emissions that harm people or the environment: and actively encouraging suppliers to do the same: this ensures that business operations adopt technologies and industrial processes which do not cause pollution.
- Operational waste is eliminated: and actively encouraging suppliers to do the same: this ensures that business operations increase resource-use efficiency by adopting technologies and industrial processes that eliminate waste through prevention, reduction, reuse and recycling.
- Paying the right tax in the right place at the right time: this ensures that taxes flow fairly to support the development of physical and social infrastructure in those areas that the business depends upon.
- Investing in assets that do not hinder progress: this ensures that the company is not using its capital to finance entities which support or propagate polluting energy infrastructure or research into unfit technologies – and it may in addition support entities working to develop clean energy infrastructure
Read moreRead less